Monday, May 4, 2009

Tangles, Matts, Knots and Rats Nests!

What a nightmare! When we returned home from Georgia, Bunny's coat had become all clumpy. At first I thought it was too long between baths, and some time out in the rain. That may have contributed slightly, however, it is the dreaded coat change that Poodles go through!
Apparently this is a real test of what I'm made of...of whether or not I'm cut out to be a "Poodle person"! I worked all last week at it; with combs, rakes, slickers and pin brushes and the blow dryer. One session was two hours on one side, only to have it clump back up by the following day! Well, to be honest at this point, I'm really close to giving her a buzz cut! I'm going to try a product called "Cowboy Magic detangler" and that will be the last resort. She may be sporting a shorter "do" pretty soon, if I can't get this under control!

4 comments:

Sherri May 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

Ah, if you're not showing her, practice your scissoring on her.

Julie May 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Too bad you can't train dogs to brush their own hair.... Maybe in another 50 years with super dogs?? I never knew about Poodle's dreaded coat chage. Is this just once or twice a year thing, puppy to dog change thing or make your every day life miserable thing? Hair does grow back and dogs never complain about a bad haircut so give Bunny a buzz cut, Kim! Summer will be here soon.

Mont'Alves May 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM  

Oh darling welcome to the joys of poodle coat ahahahahah!!!

I am glad mine was a toy poodle ihihihih!!!!

I am sure you will be able to keep her coat in top condition :)

Regarding the buzz cut i always heard from the poodle breeders and owners that while they are growing they should always have the coat really short so that the skin can get some sun and be pigmented.

Kisses

Rui

Laureate May 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

The coat change is a once in a lifetime thing, but it does last for a few months. I think our problem is compounded by Barbie wrestling with her. Sadly, I'll likely have to separate them...:-(

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP